Monday, January 22, 2007

PNG Update #2 (long, but there's a story in here :)

Wow!! 19 days still to spend in Paradise- 21 till I see American soil. Time flies when you're having fun :).

I want to thank you again for your prayers and support of all natures. I'm so very thankful to be here in PNG, and this trip couldn't have happened without you!

This trip has been everything I prayed for. The biggest thing I desired was to build relationships with the students, staff, and Bena- and God has definitely allowed that to happen. The students and Assist team members are fantastic. Good friendships have been forged amongst us, and I know we'll be in touch for times to come. It'll be neat to hear about what they do in the future- either with missions or in daily life.

Just like last year, I find myself spending a LOT of time in the evenings with Dave and Sally Cross- a dear couple who just pour themselves into whomever is around them. They are such good role-models, and so inviting! Also very good sources of wisdom and encouragement. Sally heads up the kitchen too, so I get double time with her.

And the Nationals- that's the best part for me. When I arrived here, a few of the girls in the Kitchen recognized me. Julie was one who remembered me from last year. Then going to the village on different occasions now, I've been able to spend time with Joyce- my old language helper (and her baby), Quala- who had baby Jill with her last year (Jill now lives in Goroka with another relative), Lucy- a lady who does laundry here who remembered me, and Yagaso- the grandma of the village. A few days ago, we walked to another village, "New Camp", and I saw the same children walking on the road that I saw last year! Yesterday (Monday for me), we went up to the village for Market Day, and all the girls from the Kitchen called out to me by name. That is soooo cool!!

Yesterday in Yamo-yalo (closest village) at the market, I ran into Julie from the Kitchen. She was carrying a bilum (string bag) that she was still working on, and I told her she should help me with mine. She said to bring it to the Kitchen that night when we were both working. She also introduced me to her daughter, Joy. I forgot my bilum, because I was in such a rush to get to the kitchen in the afternoon, but she did ask me about it, and I told her I was sorry, I'd bring it tomorrow (today). Later on while working, Julie started saying something in Pidgin, and I couldn't quite follow. Sally told me she was saying that she's been watching me, and that she admired me, thought I was pretty, and liked having me around the kitchen when she worked. I got so bashful then! I said "thank you true" and turned bright red. But I was sooooooooooo very happy!! Yay! I really like Julie too.

Sally and I got stuck in the kitchen for an extra half hour last night because of a small storm, so we sat, drank coffee and chatted. I asked her about the work meris- are any of them believers? She said no, there was only one believer in the group (of about 10 I think) that she knew of for sure. I asked, "What about Julie?" She told me no. Since she's known Julie, she's been with several different men, all of whom (she claims) have left her because she can't have children (it turns out Joy is her adopted daughter- probably taken from another family member). Some she's been married to, and some she hasn't. Apparently, she hasn't really shown interest in hearing the teaching from the missionaries who work among the Bena.

Instantly- in hearing (a little of) her story- my heart just went out to her. Many of you know my testimony- I would be willing to bet that this lady and I have some parallel areas- in spite of our cultural differences. She and I have experienced the same hurts, felt the same pain... I wish she would know the Lord, and find His peace and rest and comfort... It makes me so sad to think that she doesn't have that right now, and is blind to the fact that she needs Him!

That leads me to Prayer Requests:
1. For Julie- that someday her heart will melt, and that she would come to know the Lord.
2. For the Bena people- who haven't shown great interest in the Bible teachings over the past year. I want to see these people in Heaven! They have become so dear to me.
3. For my perseverence with time spent in the Word and with the Lord. I could definitely do better in this area...
3. PRAISE- I get to go on sidetrip!! YAY!! So also for safety while flying, and while in the tribe.
4. PRAISE- ALL of my trip money has now been raised. God is so good and faithful- why do I ever doubt?!

Well folks, I haven't yet been fired from working in the kitchen, but have instead been given more independant jobs and less instruction. I guess there's a girl who can cook hiding inside me somewhere :).

Love and miss you all! Wish you were here!

Emily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?